Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Spooky Season: Elections Are Crazy


Today was pretty important for different reasons, and left me on edge for quite a bit.

It's November 6th. Today is not only Election Day, my parent-in-law's wedding anniversary, and my now deceased grandma's birthday.

I woke up close to noon, since I fell asleep at nearly 5 a.m. this morning, due to staying up and watching Ian play Halo 4. If you haven't played it yet, you're seriously missing out. The graphics and music are amazing and the storyline is intense.

Anywho, I woke up and was forced to make a beeline upstairs (after praying for my grandma and wishing her a happy birthday under my breath) since Ian was replaying the end of the main story with Steph. I went on the computer to find a good representation of the candidates that were going to be in the local elections so I knew what I was voting on for sure. I was surprised that there weren't anymore Independents running this year than there usually were. Almost all of my favorites off of the Idaho Statesman interactive voting guide were Democrat, except for the Libertarian sheriff pick. I was worried that Jill Stein wouldn't even show up on the ballot in this state.

At about 12:30 p.m., we headed out to the church where we were supposed to vote at. It was pretty busy, with people voting at the booths every minute. I was ushered over to a guy who found my name on the list to vote right off. I was then given a ballot to fill my answers on. I was pleasantly surprised to find Jill Stein and her running mate on there under the presidency box. What I didn't like, however, was the fact that she was listed as "Independent." That's what happens when Greens aren't fully represented in this state.

After my ballot was in the box, my name was announced, and I got a sticker. I was feeling great...until Ian killed that voting spirit. I voted for my values.

Fast forward to later, and I turn on CNN to see what's going on. Romney's leading in the popular vote. My nerves are on edge. He's seriously one of the scariest candidates I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. I've never liked how his aura always spikes. It makes me uneasy. Ian makes me turn off the tv, seeing how it's making me anxious. I join him, and we head over to Kyle and Eliza's place to give Eliza a blessing since she's sick. After the blessing, my BIL wouldn't stop spouting off Romney this and Romney that.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

We make a stop over at the nearest Albertson's (just checking for Mountain Dew Game Fuel, in the Halo 4 edition for more XP) afterward, then we head home. I turn back on the CNN coverage. The lesser of two evils is winning.

Thank gosh. Thinking about a country run by Romney is a pretty scary thought, especially when the guy can't get his story straight. Oh, and having my rights taken away is one of the scariest things I can think of.

Obama gets re-elected after Romney finally concedes after quite some time. Hooray. Back to life. I would have had more enthusiasm if Jill Stein was elected, but whatever.

What I'm more happy learning about is that my home state of Washington legalizing marijuana and gay marriage, along with other states. Progress is cool. I wish Idaho was that cool.

Oh, and due to Ian's suggestion, I'm thinking about running for a local office position sometime in the future. We need more Greens around here in this scarily Red state.

No comments:

Post a Comment